- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- Pink hydrangea named after and christened by Dolly Buster
- Biological fungicide protects against soil-borne diseases such as Pythium
- Marginpar has new headquarters and a whole new IT system
- Groenland and L&M Groep join forces to become One Flora Group
- Bioline Agroscience is launching the first rhizobacterial-based biostimulant
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Kenya: PJ Dave Group expands greenhouse acreage
Photos are of the farm Rising Sun in Timau. (The same greenhouse is being constructed at PJ Flowers in Isinya.)
Demand direct market
According to Group General Manager of PJ Dave Group S. Thirumalai, the reason for expanding the farm is the demand from the direct market, which he has seen increasing over the last years. "We used to supply around 30 percent direct and 70 through the auction. Now, it is 85 percent direct and 15 percent auction", he says. And the demand from the direct market is still increasing and this made PJ Dave decide to expand the greenhouse acreage at their current farms.
At Rising Sun, roses are being grown on 34 ha at an altitude of 2500 meters above sea level. Currently, this farm is being expanded with 12 ha and this is because their customers asked for expansions on new varieties. "Earlier this year, we have sent new varieties to our customers and after seeing them, they asked us to plant them in larger amounts. So, the only way to comply with their request is to add hectares." Out of the 12 hectares 10 hectares are already completed. The remaining 2 will be completed before the end of the year.
PJ Dave Flowers
At their lower altitude farm PJ Dave Flowers in Isinya they are expanding too. The reason for this expansion is to grow roses with 5cm plus head sizes. "In Timau, we grow roses with 6cm plus and 6.5cm plus head sizes and here in Isinya, we grow 4.5 cm head sizes. We increasingly more often receive requests for supplying 5cm plus head sizes and we will now try to do it in this new 5 ha greenhouse with new varieties." The expansion will increase the total farm acreage in Isinya to 51 and also this expansion is planned to be completed before the end of the year.
Next to growing and exporting flowers, PJ Dave Group will also engage in another industry; Hass avocados. They are currently exporting avocados from Global GAP growers in Kenya, but from 2018 onward, they are planning to start their own farming of Hass avocados to the extent of 125 acres in Kenya.
S. Thirumalai at the IFTF 2017 in Vijfhuizen, the Netherlands. PJ Dave group has the exclusive right to grow the variety Rhodos.
For more information
PJ Dave Group
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-26 Designing bouquets for weddings forever an honor
- 2022-05-23 Chinese rose grower finishes steel guttered greenhouse expansion
- 2022-05-20 US: Farming in the heartland at Hilltop Greenhouse
- 2022-05-20 "It's good to keep challenging yourself alongside your current job"
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."