Phalaenopsis spp. nursery stock can be imported into Australia either as nursery stock other than tissue cultures, or as tissue cultures.
Phalaenopsis spp. nursery stock other than tissue cultures can be imported from a ‘non-approved source’ or from a high health ‘approved source’.
Phalaenopsis spp. nursery stock (other than tissue cultures) from a non-approved source are subject to biosecurity measures onshore in Australia. This includes insecticide treatment under supervision of a biosecurity officer and then growth and disease screening for a minimum of three months at either an Australian Government post-entry quarantine facility, or at a class 5.14 or 6.1 approved arrangement site.
What is a Phalaenopsis spp. nursery stock approved source?
Phalaenopsis spp. nursery stock (other than tissue cultures) from an approved source are produced under a “systems approach” in Taiwan which has been agreed to by the Department of Agriculture (the department). This approach applies equivalent biosecurity measures to those performed on arrival in Australia. The systems approach reduces the risks of pests being present in imported consignments by ensuring the use of pest-free mother stock and maintaining a secure production environment to produce high health plants.
Summary of conditions for Phalaenopsis from an approved source
The systems approach ensures Phalaenopsis spp. nursery stock for export to Australia from Taiwan are
- grown in a Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine (BAPHIQ) registered greenhouse for a minimum of 4 months prior to being exported to Australia
- sourced from pest-free mother stock that has been virus-tested
- grown in an approved growing medium which has been pasteurized using hot water (80 °C for 30 minutes) Note: plants may also be exported bare rooted
- regularly inspected by BAPHIQ during the growth in quarantine for pests and pathogens of quarantine concern to Australia
- subject to an insecticidal and fungicidal treatment prior to export to Australia
- inspected immediately prior to export by BAPHIQ to ensure freedom from live insects, disease symptoms and any other material of quarantine concern.