When asked “How do you maintain the proper pH of a growing medium?”, often the answer is to adjust the water pH to achieve a growing medium pH in the ideal range of 5.6-6.2. This is simply not true. Many hydroponic companies suggest nutrient programs that use reverse osmosis to strip the water of all mineral elements and then use a series of fertilizers to reintroduce the elements removed and add those elements needed to maintain proper vegetative plant growth and flowering. By doing so, the theory is that the growing medium pH should remain stable and not drift into unwanted ranges and proper fertility levels can be maintained. Although it is possible for this to work, the majority of growers experience pH drift problems with their growing medium with this approach.
- Lead IoT Engineer - KAUST near Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Innovative low oxygen box extends cut flower shelf life
- "We plan to leverage the breeding powerhouse, advanced technologies that Ball has invested in"
- Trial shows potential of single stem marigold cut flowers for vase, bouquet use
- “Father of the South American flower industry”
- Vaughan’s Horticulture announces the unexpected passing of beloved employee Matt Willoughby
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-12-21 "New peat substitute is aggregate for substrates"
- 2020-12-14 "Now suppliers are producing peat free products at a quality and at a price that will attract a consumer"
- 2020-12-08 RHP introduces animation about clean, RHP-certified growing media
- 2020-12-02 Jiffy doubles its growbags range
- 2020-11-26 "Demand for high quality substrates growing in China"
- 2020-11-16 HC’s fiber solutions earn USDA certification for biobased products
- 2020-11-09 Five tips on using vermicompost in container growing media
- 2020-10-30 Video: Five tips on hydroponic substrates
- 2020-10-29 "We hope that offering these online resources will put every customer in the driver’s seat"
- 2020-10-26 The First Ceres-FC substrate unit in the Netherlands is for The Green East
- 2020-10-15 Research: Water and air relations in propagation substrates
- 2020-10-14 Mycorrhizal Applications introduces MycoApply Injector Ecto
- 2020-10-12 UK: HTA on peat shortages
- 2020-10-08 Reuse of spent growing media for circular cultivation
- 2020-10-02 Jiffy’s European substrates now offered in North America
- 2020-10-01 Graduate devises innovative eco substrate solution during lockdown
- 2020-09-04 "Our major focus is to be a plant propagation company offering propagation solutions"
- 2020-09-04 Science in the service of peatland management
- 2020-08-18 Wood fiber and coir blend leads to new, sustainable substrate
- 2020-08-12 "Biofungicide + Mycorrhizae: It's A Game Changer!"