When growing ornamental and flowering plants, the focus is put on the yield and growing speed of ornamental plants that in turn convert into profitability for growers. The usage of water and medium plays a major role in growing ornamental and flowering plants. In this article, Trellis Horticulture Internation explains the effectiveness of cocopeat for ornamental and flowering plants.
How cocopeat can help for better growing of ornamental plants than peat moss or soil
Mastering the art of cultivating ornamental plants is crucial for success. According to Trellis Horticulture International, cocopeat can help to prepare a perfect potting mix for ornamental plants and flowering plants. "Cocopeat, also known as coir pith or coconut coir, is a natural fiber extracted from the husk of coconuts. It is a popular growing medium for ornamental plants due to its excellent water retention and aeration properties."
Below, they list the benefits of using coco peat for growing Ornamental plants
- Sustainability- Cocopeat is a byproduct derived from coconut husks, making it a renewable and eco-friendly resource. In contrast, peat moss is obtained from peat bogs, which are non-renewable and require long periods to form
- Aeration and drainage- Coco Peat has a porous structure that allows air to circulate freely within the potting mix. This helps to maintain adequate oxygen levels in the root zone, promoting healthier root development.
- pH neutrality- Cocopeat is pH neutral, which means it won't significantly affect the acidity or alkalinity of the growing medium. This allows for more precise control over the pH levels, important for ornamental plants with specific pH preferences
- Nutrient retention- Cocopeat with low EC levels can help absorption of nutrients to a large extent. Lower nutrient conception will result in lower cost of growing.
- Disease suppression- Coco Peat has natural antifungal properties, reducing the risk of soil-borne diseases in ornamental plants.
- Water Retention- Cocopeat has excellent water-holding capacity, capable of retaining moisture and releasing it gradually to plant roots.
"Considering these benefits cocopeat can be a great mixture for making potting mix for ornamental plants."
According to Trellis Horticulture International , a grower should consider these things always while using coco peat:
- Mixing ratios: Cocopeat is often used as part of a potting mix. You may need to mix it with other components such as perlite, vermiculite, or organic matter to create an ideal growing medium. Each plants proportion of mixing will be different considering that while mixing
- Hydration: Cocopeat usually comes in a dehydrated form, and it needs to be rehydrated before use. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper hydration.
- Fertilization: Cocopeat itself does not contain nutrients, so you'll need to supplement with fertilizers. Consider using a balanced fertilizer to meet the nutritional needs of your ornamental plants.
- Container drainage: Ensure that the containers used for ornamental plants have proper drainage holes to prevent waterlogging
Their customer, who is the largest ornamental grower in Turkey, Mr Hamy of Sakarya Botanik says: “Cocopeat is beneficial because of the following reasons: It not only keeps the humidity, it also prevents the peatmoss flowing from the bottom of the pot, increases the water retention capacity of the pots, makes weed control easier, and makes the pot lighter because of low bulk density hence making it easier to transport large trees."
How does cocopeat help ornamental plants to grow fast?
So, why does cocopeat enable ornamental plants to grow fast? Trellis Horticulture International explains: "Root establishment is the major standpoint for good plant growth. Since Cocopeat is natural and has a good mix of fiber it gives the plant a natural ecosystem to faster root establishment. Then, when looking at over watering, it can slow down the growth. Since coco has good drainage capability it doesn't allow water to clog near the roots. On top of that, low EC and neutral PH helps plants to absorb nutrients better and support in faster growth. Also, flowering plants need more phosphorus in the medium and as cocopeat contains it, plants can absorb this added phosphorus as a supplement. And last but not least, cocopeat makes the medium loose enough so that transplantation is possible without root damage."
Trellis Horticulture in operation.
Cocopeat products at Trellis Horticulture
At Trellis Horticulture International they have specialized cocopeat products which can be exclusively graded for ornamental growing and flowering plants. We have products such as Trellis Lo Sal with low salinity and good natural fiber content that can be used for the large ornamental plants. Trellis Hipure with low impurities and low EC for young cuttings to grow for propagation. Trellis peat pro with good expansion can help to make potting mix for ornamental growing. We also provide Mixed products made of cocopeat, coco fiber and coco chips and give you different propositions as per the requirement. We also offer buffered coco peat products."