The gardeners of Keukenhof started to plant the first bulbs for a spectacular new flower mosaic of the Golden Age, on Thursday October 8. Planting the mosaic accentuates the autumn planting at Keukenhof; the coming months will see approximately seven million bulbs planted in the park.
The Keukenhof theme for 2016 is "The Golden Age". The period in which the Netherlands went through a flourishing period in the field of trade, arts and science. This was also the period in which the world was discovered and the tulip trade thrived.
The new flower bulb mosaic shows a Delft Blue cadre in which trade, shipping and Amsterdam canal houses are depicted.
The mosaic will measure 250 square meters and will be planted in two layers with 100.000 tulips, muscari and crocuses.
Besides the flower bulb mosaic, the Golden Age also forms an inspiration for the numerous flower shows in the Oranje Nassau Pavilion.
New in 2016 are a Golden Age inspiration garden and a Delft Blue garden.
Many international tourists still come to the Netherlands to see the exceptional icons, such as, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Dutch cheese, windmills and tulips. The significance of Keukenhof for tourism in the Netherlands is exceptionally large. Every year 800,000 visitors come to Keukenhof from over 100 countries. Approximately 75% of these visitors come from abroad. The bulb sector in general and the tulips and Keukenhof in particular, have become the face of the tourist image of the Netherlands.
Keukenhof 2016 opens from 24 March until 16 May.
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We now have full control of our rooting container and substrate"
- KF Bioplants names two new gerbera varieties and Best Grower of 2023
- "May the White Force bloom with you"
- What to expect at the California Spring Trials?
- Bredefleur Moerkapelle takes over neighbour's greenhouse and expands to 13.5 hectares
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-24 How plants prepare for cold weather and how they withstand low temperatures
- 2022-11-08 Pennsylvania Horticultural Society hosts tree plantings throughout the Philadelphia region
- 2022-10-05 “‘Digital’ is a life attitude”
- 2022-06-28 Black Sheep Flower Farm: Flowers, glamping, and community sanctuary all in one
- 2022-04-22 US (MN): Tulip season is just about there, but this Lakeville farm won't be able to open
- 2022-03-23 "It's so painful as a farmer to do everything' right' and then get hammered by the rain"
- 2021-07-05 US: Farmworker advocates renew call for extreme heat rules after Oregon laborer dies
- 2021-06-15 NL: Millions and millions of blooming peonies in Limburg
- 2021-05-24 Greece: First-of-its-kind flower smells like dead insects to imprison coffin flies
- 2021-05-14 CAN: P.E.I. monks work to open tulip field despite COVID-19 protocols, plant disease
- 2021-04-29 Wicked tulips flower farm in Exeter celebrates opening weekend
- 2021-04-26 Kashmir: tulip garden witnesses steep decline in visitors
- 2021-04-21 Traveling 60 km daily: the life of a tulip gardener in Kashmir
- 2021-04-21 NL: Aerials show sea of tulips in bloom at famed flower park
- 2021-04-16 Keukenhof spring series - new parts presented
- 2021-04-09 Floriculture: A boom for doubling the income in Kashmir valley
- 2021-04-07 Bengaluru farmers use wastewater to grow plants
- 2021-04-07 Visitors flock to California's flower fields
- 2021-02-18 US (CA): Carlsbad Flower Fields to kick off spring season on March 1
- 2021-02-09 New online academic research library launched