- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Medewerker Productmanagement
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
Top 5 -yesterday
- AU: "I expect logistics to remain an issue for the coming 3 to 6 months"
- Whitefly prevention with liquid nutritional plant enhancer
- US: Uncertainty looms over possible flower shortages ahead of Valentine's Day
- Angel Fresh, a fresh-keeping product for fresh-cut flowers
- Modiform now sells only circular thermoformed pots
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
University of Minnesota's top 10 performing annuals
Annual flower variety trials for the University of Minnesota (U of MN) are conducted at the West Central Research and Outreach Center (WCROC) Horticulture Display Garden in Morris, MN. The Garden features impressive displays of the newest cultivars of annual flowers from plant breeding companies around the world. Cultivars are grown from seed or are vegetatively propagated in our greenhouse, and later transplanted into the Garden in late May.
Begonia Whopper Rose Bronze Foliage
Plants are evaluated three to four times during the growing season in order to assess each variety’s performance. We use a 1 to 5 scale for providing a horticultural rating (1=poor, 2=below average, 3=average, 4=above average, 5=excellent). Plants are rated on performance, color, vigor, uniformity of habit and flowering, flowering numbers relative to others, insect and disease resistance, and uniqueness. The data is taken by the same individual every time to reduce variability in scoring. Only the highest rating cultivars earn the distinction of a Top Ten Performing Annual recommendations for Minnesota.
Plant breeding companies rely on valuable feedback from annual flower trials conducted throughout the nation in order to market and improve their cultivars. Evaluations from the WCROC annual flower trial are shared with participating plant breeding companies; they may in turn make plant improvements to their cultivars and enter the flower back into trial for another season. Our annual flower report is also made available to commercial nursery producers, floriculture professionals, grower associations, U of MN Extension and U of MN Master Gardeners in order to provide cultivar recommendations.
Petunia Supertunia Vista Fuchsia (Imp)
Even though the annual flowers are under evaluation, the plants are placed into an aesthetically pleasing design, allowing visitors to enjoy the beauty of the Garden. The Horticulture Display Garden has been an All-America Selections (AAS) Display Garden since 1990. The AAS award recognizes a flower or vegetable variety proven to have superior performance throughout the North American continent. An AAS Display Garden provides the public an opportunity to view the new AAS winners in an attractive well-maintained setting. Additionally, the Horticulture Display Garden is the only AAS Trial Ground site in Minnesota, where AAS entries are planted next to comparisons and evaluated by an AAS Trial Judge.
Check out the top 10 here.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-06 Plantarium and GROEN-Direkt fairs join forces
- 2021-09-23 Select Breeding presents Red Bentley & new varieties during Open Days
- 2021-09-17 Pro Manager Mastercourse Floriculture returns in January 2022
- 2021-09-15 New edition of international list of plant names has more than 17,000 new names
- 2021-08-13 Terra Nova Nurseries releases new product catalog for 2021-2022
- 2021-06-25 US: Ornamental sweet potatoes named newest Texas Superstar
- 2021-06-04 US (IL): 5-year lavender experiment blooms at Tenderloin Farms
- 2021-05-19 US: At Last rose earns A.R.T.S. local artist award
- 2021-04-23 "Edible flowers add so much to the dish"
- 2021-04-02 Learn more about the international garden rose industry
- 2021-03-12 "Add color and fragrance to your tropical and foliage programs"
- 2021-02-19 Proven Winners National Plants of the Year
- 2021-02-10 Syngenta Flowers India launches new Marigold hybrids
- 2021-01-26 Worldwide volumes of refrigerated trade reached a new high of 169.2 million tons in 2019
- 2021-01-22 Floriculture companies presenting novelties at second Thursd Online Trade Fair
- 2021-01-19 Perennial Plant Association announces the 2021 Perennial Plant of the Year
- 2020-12-07 28th edition Green to Life & Flower Expo Polska planned for September
- 2020-10-30 US (LA): A flower for hurricane season
- 2020-10-16 FleuroStar winner Dahlia Sincerity production tripled to meet high demand
- 2020-10-13 Eason Horticultural Resources releases their Hot New Perennials for 2021 booklet