- Junior Sales Manager
- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Particularly high demand for tracked machines with slewing ring and pipe rail carts at the moment"
- Reducing the spread of viruses with double cover films
- "Four new packs, four new sustainable solutions"
- "Change, differing opinions, and respect for each other, that's timeless"
- Biostimulant wins EU LIFE Award 2023 in the Environment category
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
- “Carnations have made a comeback; being seen as trendy again”
US: T.O. Plastics expands line of square pots
The large square plant pots have a two-quart soil capacity, with nine bi-level drain holes strategically placed to aid drainage. Enhanced drainage was a specific concern among the growers that T.O. Plastics spoke with while designing the new pots and carry trays, said Doug Laubenstein, the company's National Sales and Strategic Business Development Manager.
"We asked 'how can we make this better for you?' and they responded with two specific requests, the first one being better drainage," he said. "The greater soil capacity of larger pots retains moisture, which impedes plant growth."
Excess moisture prevents oxygen from reaching plant roots, leading to poor plant health, and encourages root rot and other diseases that further prevent the plant from developing properly.
To overcome those challenges, T.O. Plastics Product Design Engineers Scott Klein and Warren Sowers designed an array of raised and lowered drainage slots in the pots themselves and incorporated significant advancements into the two-quart, 5.5'' square pot carry trays.
"The trays are the key," Laubenstein said. "We built in a ridge along the inside bottom of the tray to allow the pots to sit above water as it drains out. We also increased the height of the tray bottom and incorporated holes there that not only allow water to drain quickly but also allow air to reach the plant pots and help the soil properly dry down."
With a raised divider down the center for added stability, the square pot carry trays are equipped to hold up to 35 pounds' worth of pots and soil. Innovative automation grooves on the bottom of the tray allow growers to employ multi-tray handling.
"The growers' second request was for a sturdy tag slot to allow for efficient labeling and uniform alignment for merchandising," Laubenstein said. "Our two-quart, 5.5'' square is one of the first thermoformed square pots to successfully incorporate an integrated tag slot on all four sides."
"The inherent thinness of thermoformed plastics previously made creating an integrated slot difficult, but T.O. Plastics' team found a way to engineer around that challenge," he said.
"The new square plant pots were designed specifically for perennial and woody ornamental growers and berry producers but are well-suited for other uses in the greenhouse and nursery industries," Laubenstein said. "The two-quart, 5.5'' square appeals to a broad market."
T.O. is accepting pre-orders for February 2018.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-07 $1.85m raised to make paper packaging stronger and more recyclable
- 2023-05-29 Start-up Dharaksha is converting crop waste into sustainable packaging
- 2023-05-26 LiveTrends Design Group unveils Valentine's Day 2024 collection
- 2023-05-26 Rwanda govt. secures funding to reduce post-harvest losses
- 2023-05-19 "We are in the mood to expand our markets"
- 2023-05-10 Launch of the Digital Academy: New series of online events for manufacturers and retailers kicks off on the topic of sustainability
- 2023-05-04 "Labeling needs, branding means banding is growing in the fruit and vegetable sector"
- 2023-05-04 Dutch company celebrates Finnish mothers with new potted roses sleeve
- 2023-03-07 "Thermal hood extends shelf life and reduces temperature damage along the logistics chain"
- 2023-02-21 "Entering Europe is a natural next step in our growth"
- 2023-02-06 Some popular foliage plants are ethylene sensitive
- 2023-01-30 "100% home compostable bouquets with Eco-Wrap"
- 2023-01-19 "Building a true circular economy"
- 2023-01-11 “2022 has been one of the best years in the company’s history”
- 2022-12-09 US (FL): "This new building enables us to drastically reduce our carbon footprint"
- 2022-10-11 Koen Pack launches sample book with packaging materials
- 2022-10-07 "Bamboo sleeve: functional and less harmful to the environment"
- 2022-10-03 NZ: Biodegradable nursery pots to offer plastic-free alternative
- 2022-09-26 Minneapolis start-up plans win price for compostable flower foam
- 2022-09-07 Macpac showcases new packaging solutions at Four Oaks trade show