- Senior Agronomist/Horticulturist and Agronomy/Horticulture Manager
- Growers & Assistant Growers
- Plant Biologist
- Ripening Officer Bananas / Exotics
- Grower and Nurser
- Farm Manager
- Floriculture Production Planning Manager
- Agricultural Mechanic / Crop Sprayer Operator
- Technical Services Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Lavender farmer explains legal case against EU climate policy
In the municipality of Grignan in southeast France, lavender is currently in full bloom. “For tourists walking around, the fields seem filled with lavender,” said Maurice Fléchet, whose family has been growing lavender for five generations. “But in reality, lavender plants are withering.”
For over a decade, harvesting the purple flower has become a challenge because of global warming. Maurice Fléchet’s son, Maurice, who took over the family farm in 2001, is the first to struggle in carving out a livelihood from farming lavender.
In recent years, the lifespan of lavender plants has decreased considerably. “Between the torrential rains, springtime frost and droughts, we have lost 23 hectares of lavender over the past few years,” explained Maurice Fléchet.
One of the most difficult challenges stems from the fact that lavender plants, which grow on hard soil, cannot be replaced immediately, it takes an average of two years to restore the soil with other crops before replanting new lavender plants.
Click here for the full story at EURACTIV.fr
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-18 Plant molecular geneticists discover, and begin to crack, the epigenetic code
- 2022-08-17 Hanging baskets watered by an innovative system
- 2022-08-16 Fewer hydrangeas, more plants 'useful to nature' due to dry weather
- 2022-08-12 Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- 2022-08-11 University of Florida greenhouse training online courses
- 2022-07-21 Powering plant growth with solar instead of photosynthesis more efficient?
- 2022-07-21 University of Florida surpasses $1 billion in research spending for the first time in 2022
- 2022-07-19 How plants are cooling greenhouses during the heatwave
- 2022-07-18 Seed to harvest and beyond
- 2022-07-18 Texan urban farms donates one million servings
- 2022-07-18 Thallium accumulation and distribution in Silene latifolia grown in hydroponics
- 2022-07-18 Taking control of water on the nursery using H2Gro
- 2022-07-15 Terra Nova Nurseries releases new digital/print product catalog for 2022-2023
- 2022-07-14 Turning an arid desert into an unexpected breadbasket
- 2022-07-13 A divine harvest: New Hadley farmstand under the watchful eye of experienced worker
- 2022-07-11 Four Star’s new 2023 plants & programs guide is available
- 2022-07-07 'The opportunity to invest in LED lighting has never been this attractive'
- 2022-07-06 Ontario: 3 secrets of irrigation water taking permits revealed
- 2022-07-06 Sensors warn grower in case of water shortage
- 2022-07-05 UK: Pandemic helped local plant grower to flourish