Top 5 -yesterday
- “European market hungry for newer waxflower varieties”
- "The Indian floriculture industry is going through a transition"
- "It seems that Polish people save money on everything, except on greenery"
- Houseplants can positively impact your mental health, according to researchers
- The next phase of the launch of the Euro Plant Tray, the new reusable plant tray
Top 5 -last month
Germany: New cold store and pack house for Pellens Hortensien
New cold store
According to Pellens, the structural conditions of the former facility were not optimal for the quantities transferred. "We already had three of our own cooling houses, but for two of them, the location was logistically speaking unfavorable. On top of that these cooling technologies were outdated," says Andreas Pellens. Till now, due to the lack of capacity, they stored a large portion of their cooling equipment in rented cooling facilities. Also the existing packing area of about 600 square meters was too small as the young and finished plants bumped into each other in Spring time.
A look inside the new cold store
In order to optimize the processes, they decided to build a new, large cold store as well as another packing house last year. It was built in the past four months at the west end of the farm, next to their second loading dock, which is only a few years old. Pellens: "In this new plant, we now only stock and therefore focus on the young plants. We will not use the two of our older, unprofitable refrigerated houses in the future. In addition, the numerous transport routes that form the external cooling area to our home location and elsewhere are not necessary anymore. Monitoring the plants in the cooling area is considerably simplified by the short distances. And thanks to state-of-the-art cooling technology, the quality control is significantly improved during the cooling phase, apart from energy saving. "
New pack house
Open air cooling and solar
Compared to a standard cold store, this cold store seems to save around 60% of energy. Firstly, this is achieved by a thicker wall and roof insulation. Secondly, it has a complete heat recovery system. The heat is used to defrost the evaporators and to dehumidify the cooling chamber. Besides that, the facility is, next to a classic compressor with a three-stage engine, also equipped with an energy-saving frequency-controlled compressor. In addition, it has an outdoor cooling system. If the outside temperature is similar or lower than the cooling house, it is being cooled by using external air fans. This also considerably reduces energy consumption. Finally, there is also a sluice between the packing and cooling house, which reduces the warm air intake and minimizes energy losses. "So, the moisture input is lower and a more uniform storage temperature benefits the plant quality", says Pellens. As a further structural measure, solar cells will follow after a few operating months. "Then, we will know how many are necessary."
After four months of construction, the cooling and packing area are now fully operational. And just in time. This month, in May, they will need the space for their containers. "My special thanks go to the companies Mefus & Frisch Kältetechnik, Schwefers & Raab Kühlhausbau and Olsthoorn Gewächshausbau," concludes Andreas Pellens.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-11 Meet the flower farmers at Sea Change Farm
- 2022-08-11 The next phase of the launch of the Euro Plant Tray, the new reusable plant tray
- 2022-08-11 Bailey recognizes network partners
- 2022-08-11 HTA appoints Marketing Director
- 2022-08-11 Biobest steps up presence in Portugal with acquisition of Agronologica, changes name to Biobest Portugal
- 2022-08-10 The new exhibitors at Iberflora have grown by 17%, and the renewal rate is around 98%
- 2022-08-10 "Wow effect moves into new halls"
- 2022-08-10 "Exceptional garden plants"
- 2022-08-10 What's new for 2023 garden and pot mums
- 2022-08-10 India: Yara Growth invests $50M in ag-fintech company
- 2022-08-10 EHR announces the promotion of Lauren Simendinger to Marketing and Media Specialist
- 2022-08-10 Creekside growers charms Michigan flower lovers
- 2022-08-09 Continental Flowers continues commitment to Wholesale Florists
- 2022-08-09 JD Propagation will soon be the new supplier for Dümmen Orange’s genetics in Australia
- 2022-08-09 Onings America colors the continent for 25 years
- 2022-08-09 Schoneveld Breeding present new brochure
- 2022-08-09 Is the popularity of gardening finally normalizing?
- 2022-08-09 RosaPrima express their gratitude for their client's patience with this video
- 2022-08-08 Dümmen Orange completes North American Product Management team, announces new roles
- 2022-08-08 Vivero North America expands service team with Nick Read