- Autonomous Greenhouse Manager
- Sales & Product representative Pot & Garden USA
- Supervisor International Horticultural Projects (USA)
- Director Of Growing - Carleton (MI) USA
- Greenhouse Manager - Cleburne (TX) USA
- Growing Manager young vegetable plants
- Sales Agents / Representatives - Germany
- Lead Grower California USA
- Produce Construction Manager - USA
- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- New ornamental trading platform aims to go global
- Paperpot's future is bright
- "Large fragrant flowers on a fast, easy to grow plant - that's our goal"
- Chile's adjusted phytosanitary measures: an eyesore for Ecuadorian exporters
- "The red velvet color is obtained without using any type of mesh or 'anti-blackening' bag"
Top 5 -last month
- Kenya: "We even gained more direct clients"
- Ecuadorian rose grower loses stems due to dramatic climatic event
- Kenya: Naivasha Horticultural Fair 2020 receives the official go-ahead
- US (OH): Green Circle Growers expands with 6 acres of greenhouse space
- Smurfit Kappa introduces new sustainable packaging solution for the transport of Colombian roses
Ronald van Dijk, Henke Kunststoffe:
Better draining hydrangea container saves on soil, transport
Björn Stiening and Ronald van Dijk at the IPM Essen 2018, where they showcased the prototypes of their new hydrangea container.
Together with a Dutch hydrangea grower, Henke Kunststoffe designed this new pot. "This grower was looking for a solution to increase the drainage of the pot and therefore contacted us." Together with the grower, Henke started to search for a possible solution. "We found the bottleneck, which was the center of the bottom in this container. It was not draining well; the center was often too wet which resulted in no or limited root development of the plant in that area." The next step was finding a solution. "After doing research, we decided to create a sloping elevation with a center hole and 3 drainage holes in the center of the bottom of the pot. It absorbs and drains the water better. Besides, the substrate volume in the center of the pot is better used by the plant because now the roots are developed in that area as well." This means that you can use a smaller pot instead a 1.4 or 1.5 liters.
3D drawing of the container.
During their search for this improved hydrangea container, Henke Kunststoffe came across more benefits. Next to the better water absorption and draining, the elevation in the pot results in less usage of potting soil. "The volume 1.245 liters instead of 1.4 liters results in a saving of 155 litre substrate per 1000 hydrangea plants." (saving of 155 liter substrate at a price of 80 euro/M3 is 12.40 euro difference and even bigger in compare with a 1.5 liter pot). This all without loss of the plants quality because the available substrate is simply better used.
Next to the slope elevation, they also adjusted the diameter of the container, from 14 cm to 13.7 cm. "Then, exactly five rows of pots will fit on a Danish trolley. In turn, it results in a 20 percent more efficient loading."
April on the market
The new container will be available at Henke Kunstoffe's distributors from mid-April and the demand seems to be high. "The first few million pots have been sold already."
For more information:
Ronald van Dijk, sales manager Benelux - Benelux
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-10-20 NL: Trends and inspiration in new showroom Koen Pack
- 2020-10-20 Chrysal International and Verdant Technologies announce partnership
- 2020-10-20 "Reusable plant trays logical choice for market"
- 2020-10-19 Understand the latest changes to Plant Passporting in the UK after Brexit
- 2020-10-08 Smurfit Kappa introduces new sustainable packaging solution for the transport of Colombian roses
- 2020-10-07 Box assembler in action
- 2020-10-01 "We want to be a leading sourcing partner "
- 2020-09-25 Poinsettia: "It is prudent to establish handling and shipping practices"
- 2020-09-24 AU: Online industry workshop on sustainable packaging in horticulture
- 2020-09-23 "It's a year with record high sales"
- 2020-09-18 US (ME): Greenhouse plastic collection starts September 25
- 2020-09-04 Macpac announces new on-line shopping experience
- 2020-08-14 Increasing interest for packaging for delivery through the letterbox
- 2020-08-13 New brand packaging to reduce plastic footprint
- 2020-08-12 Plastic pots and the green industry: Production, use, disposal and the environmental impacts
- 2020-08-11 Maintaining the integrity of the sanitation
- 2020-07-24 "Consumer can go on holiday without any worries with Grow & Go pot"
- 2020-07-06 New info stick that really sticks to the pot
- 2020-06-26 Floral packaging options and the importance of box standards for shipping
- 2020-06-25 Telrol and Kolibri Labels become part of Optimum Group