- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- General Manager - Farming / QLD, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Ellen Frost recognized at cut flower conference
The Armitage Leadership Award is given to those in the floral industry who consistently strive to foster the goals of ASCFG, and the specialty cut flower industry.
Ellen is recognized as one of the country’s first florists to use and promote exclusively locally-grown floral product: all flowers used in her designs are grown within 100 miles of her studio. Ellen’s philosophy is to be as gentle to the earth as possible: all discarded material is composted, containers used in designs are often upcycled and reused, she swore off using floral foam years ago, and her shop uses wind power as an energy source.
Working with dozens of regional growers, Local Color Flowers is able to produce award-winning wedding and event designs year-round, even in the off season when imported flowers are often used.
Ellen actively supports other small, locally-owned businesses in her Baltimore neighborhood, contributing to their success, and improving the lives of local residents. Many designers working at Ellen’s shop have been there for years, reflecting Ellen’s ability to maintain a business that works for everyone involved, not only the owner, but the workers, farmers, neighbors, and community at large.
Ellen is also admired for encouraging, mentoring, and supporting young or beginning flower growers, by helping them establish their farms, offering production and marketing advice, and purchasing their cut flowers on continuing basis. Many flower farmers in the Mid-Atlantic owe her a great debt of gratitude for her long-term commitment to their success.
For more information:
Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-14 Florist puts gerberas in the spotlight
- 2019-10-11 Getting back to the basics: Cooling, cleanliness and care
- 2019-10-04 Florist embraces sustainability
- 2019-10-03 Selling flowers since 1886
- 2019-10-02 Digital bouquet making comes to the U.S.
- 2019-09-27 "Dried flowers are back in fashion"
- 2019-09-26 Bellagio Conservatory’s autumn display featuring preserved roses
- 2019-09-23 Winners announced of 2019 Garden Rose Design Contest
- 2019-09-20 How to cook a meal (almost) entirely out of flowers
- 2019-09-20 "Transparency saved my business"
- 2019-09-13 Freesia offers opportunities for sensory experiences in flower
- 2019-09-13 Breaking floral world records
- 2019-09-13 US (WA): Mayesh Seattle celebrates opening
- 2019-09-11 Campaign to ban use of plastic flowers
- 2019-09-03 The growing popularity of flower installations
- 2019-09-02 India: Flowers from across the globe to adorn Golden Temple
- 2019-09-02 Philippines: Local florist calls for revival of Davao floriculture industry
- 2019-08-15 A preserved rose flower tribute to Takashi Murakami
- 2019-08-08 McQueens Flower School and Pelargonium for Europe give summer color to a London coffeehouse
- 2019-08-05 Tour de France winner has ties to the floral industry