- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
How to purificate your water?
The most effective method
Wageningen UR horticulture has done research into the different methods to minimize the residue of plant protection products in discharged water. Ozone, low and high pressure UV, with or without hydrogen peroxide and activated carbon have been researched. Low-pressure UV in combination with hydrogen peroxide and activated carbon was the most effective method.
Low-Pressure UV lamps
Enthoven Techniek already built installations with low-pressure UV lamps. In addition, they have experience with injection systems for hydrogen peroxide. Activated carbon is a new element in purification for the company. An important factor here is the so-called service life, or the duration that the activated carbon continues to actively absorb substances. The installer expects a minimal service life of one year, so the carbon doesn't require replacement sooner. The company is testing standard test water, with different plant protection products, fertilizers and pollution, to estimate the amount of activated carbon necessary.
Optimizing with pump frequency
The UV purification of the installation can be built modularly with UV tubes, so it can be customized. Each UV tube has a capacity of 750 liters/hour at 25% of the T10-value. The Apollo Plus uses UV sensors to determine the optimum flow. As soon as the transparency of the water rises, the flow is regulated with a frequency regulator. This means that the system always makes optimum use of the lamp's burning hours.
Another big advantage of low pressure UV lamps is that moving parts are not required to keep the tubes clean. These are kept clean by means of an acid rinse. The installation decides whether or not it is necessary to clean by means of UV sensors. The tube and water layer are irradiated and the quantity of light breaking through is measured.
Drain- and discharged water treatments
The purification installation with low pressure UV tubes, sand and an activated carbon filter, injection system for acid and hydrogen peroxide runs stand-alone and does not need to be linked to a climate computer. The installation can be used inline, but also for more than one treatment and with different methods. The Apollo Plus installation may also be used to purify drinking water. In that case the hydrogen peroxide and activated carbon filter are not used, but the UV part is.
Source: Glastuinbouw Waterproof
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-05-31 Understanding water quality: The key to beautiful flowers
- 2018-05-30 "It is algae time again!"
- 2018-05-29 US (CA): Brought to you by water
- 2018-05-28 UK: Measuring and improving the performance of overhead irrigation
- 2018-05-25 Every essential nutrient buffered to the exact pH
- 2018-05-24 US: Determining effective methods of irrigation as water becomes scarce
- 2018-05-23 "Rising cost of both water and electricity influences quality and quantity of crops"
- 2018-05-22 Innovative watering system: taking weight as starting point
- 2018-05-21 Pilot project: Optimizing RO processes
- 2018-05-18 Dealing with salty irrigation water
- 2018-05-17 Tank supplier catches the eye of the wastewater industry
- 2018-05-16 Paclobutrazol removal from irrigation water using granular activated carbon
- 2018-05-15 Irrigation water quality and soil structural stability
- 2018-05-14 The art and science of watering greenhouse crops
- 2018-05-11 'Striving together for a better environment and less taxation on the environment'
- 2018-05-10 Podcast about water challenges
- 2018-05-09 "You Can Cut Time…Instead of Flowers”"
- 2018-05-08 Video: Combining water reuse and aquifer storage and recovery
- 2018-05-07 What in your irrigation water most affects media pH?
- 2018-05-04 "Water purification without large investment on your own installation"