Paclobutrazol is a commonly used plant growth regulator for controlling plant height, which has biological activity in the parts per billion range and a half-life in water of over 6 months. Pesticides such as paclobutrazol have potential to accumulate in recaptured irrigation water over time.
A recently published article outlines various experiments conducted at the University of Florida where irrigation water containing paclobutrazol was effectively removed using a laboratory-scale granular activated carbon (GAC) filtration system. There is potential that GAC can be used to remediate recaptured irrigation water for a range of agrichemicals relevant to the greenhouse and nursery industry.
Access the full study through SpringerLink.
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
- EU Sales and Region manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-05-31 Understanding water quality: The key to beautiful flowers
- 2018-05-30 "It is algae time again!"
- 2018-05-29 US (CA): Brought to you by water
- 2018-05-28 UK: Measuring and improving the performance of overhead irrigation
- 2018-05-25 Every essential nutrient buffered to the exact pH
- 2018-05-24 US: Determining effective methods of irrigation as water becomes scarce
- 2018-05-23 "Rising cost of both water and electricity influences quality and quantity of crops"
- 2018-05-22 Innovative watering system: taking weight as starting point
- 2018-05-21 Pilot project: Optimizing RO processes
- 2018-05-18 Dealing with salty irrigation water
- 2018-05-17 Tank supplier catches the eye of the wastewater industry
- 2018-05-16 Paclobutrazol removal from irrigation water using granular activated carbon
- 2018-05-15 Irrigation water quality and soil structural stability
- 2018-05-14 The art and science of watering greenhouse crops
- 2018-05-11 'Striving together for a better environment and less taxation on the environment'
- 2018-05-10 Podcast about water challenges
- 2018-05-09 "You Can Cut Time…Instead of Flowers”"
- 2018-05-08 Video: Combining water reuse and aquifer storage and recovery
- 2018-05-07 What in your irrigation water most affects media pH?
- 2018-05-04 "Water purification without large investment on your own installation"