- Packing Supervisor
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Esmeralda Farms forced to discontinue operations in Ethiopia
The production location of Esmeralda farms was attacked by Ethiopian rebels. The scale of the damage was unknown for quite a while. Some said that they mainly damaged their vehicles, but according to Hooyman, the damage is more serious. "The cold store and storage area are burnt out completely and a large part of the packaging area is damaged too", says Hooyman. The damage is estimated at 10 million euros. Esmeralda Farms owns, besides their headquarter in Aalsmeer, the Netherlands, production locations in Colombia and Ecuador. They started cultivating flowers in Ethiopia in 2015.
More flower farms attacked
The Ethiopian rebels attacked several flower farms in Bahir Dar last week. According to FloraHolland, at least four farms fell victim to arson attacks and destruction. The reason for the unrest is dissatisfaction with government policy.
According to Hooyman, peace has not been restored yet. "For the coming Tuesday, they have already announced demonstrations. Everything will be burned, and everything that does not burn will be destroyed", says Hooyman.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-02-02 California rains highlight inability to capture enough rainwater
- 2023-02-02 A more natural form of artificial lighting with Perfand LED’s pulse technology system
- 2023-02-02 Air-assisted spraying technology for improved horticultural pest control
- 2023-02-02 "The way forward for UK garden centers is British grown, peat-free houseplants"
- 2023-02-02 Lazzeri won three awards for the best poinsettias
- 2023-02-01 Berkvens Greenhouse Mobility and Buitendijk Slaman are joining forces
- 2023-02-01 Svensson & Agculture enter global partnership
- 2023-02-01 TrayC now available in Italy
- 2023-02-01 Fine Americas adds Northeast sales manager
- 2023-02-01 Denkers Air B.V. takes to the sky
- 2023-01-31 National Wildlife Federation launches Garden for Wildlife, Inc.
- 2023-01-31 Johnny's Selected Seeds celebrates 50th anniversary
- 2023-01-31 Paper packaging solution now also available as banderole
- 2023-01-30 UK: Squire’s recognizes high standards in garden centres
- 2023-01-30 New bio-based shading agent delivered in powder form
- 2023-01-30 US (GA): Tecogen to launch smart hybrid-drive air-cooled chiller at AHR 2023
- 2023-01-27 Jim Collins joins Vestaron Board of Directors
- 2023-01-27 Stolze moves to new shiny headquarter
- 2023-01-27 70 years of Ridder: "In fact, we still apply the same vision as my grandfather"
- 2023-01-27 "Peak 2023: better and predictable end times"