- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
- Business Developer Water Storage - International technical horticulture
- Export Manager
Afriflora to be purchased by investment company
Afriflora is the leading supplier of quality roses at fair trade standards to Europe. Established in 2005 by the Barnhoorn family, Afriflora has over 11,000 employees. The Company is headquartered in Aalsmeer, Holland and operates three farms in Ethiopia covering 500 hectares. It cultivates, produces and sells over 1.1 billion stem roses annually with the majority of these to the European market.
The Barnhoorn family, who are the founders and significant shareholders of the Company, are to remain as shareholders and directors in the Afriflora group. With the support of Sun European Partners, they will continue to run the business with a focus on customer service and implementing best environmental and social practices, and with a sense of responsibility for local communities in Ethiopia.
Peter Barnhoorn, CEO of Afriflora said; “Our new shareholder will help Afriflora to achieve its growth aims and expedite its continued development. Our company has for many years been committed to investing in the local marketplace and building a future not only for the business but also for the workforce who have supported us through our growth and development, and this will not change. We would like to thank KKR for the support they have provided us to date and look forward to an exciting future working alongside Sun European Partners to take this company to the next level.”
Paul Daccus, Managing Director at Sun European Partners, said; “Afriflora is a world leader in an attractive sector that we know very well. We look forward to working with the Barnhoorn family and the management team over the coming years, to support the continued development and success of the business.”
Nicolas Gheysens, Managing Director at KKR, said; “We have been pleased with our partnership with Afriflora and the Barnhoorn family. Over the past years Afriflora has further strengthened its leadership position in its key markets but we are also proud to have contributed – together with the Barnhoorn family – to the development of the region. We wish Afriflora, Sun and the Barnhoorn family continued success.”
Sun European Partners has significant experience making acquisitions in the horticulture sector. Its affiliated portfolio companies include Flamingo Horticulture, a vertically integrated horticulture business.
Sun European Partners was advised by Rabobank, Kirkland & Ellis, Houlihan Lokey, and Ernst & Young. The Barnhoorn family and KKR were advised by William Blair, Clifford Chance, Van Benthem & Keulen, Deloitte, and Londen & Van Holland.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-22 Tulip Experience voted 'Best Hidden Gem of the Netherlands'
- 2023-09-22 Garden centres and retail can create their own poster with Royal Van Zanten’s poster generator
- 2023-09-22 Evanthia to celebrate 10th anniversary
- 2023-09-22 Royal Brinkman and Empas extend partnership
- 2023-09-21 New service concept Plantion Shop & Go introduced in the Netherlands
- 2023-09-21 US: 1-800-Flowers.com to hire over 8,000 seasonal associates nationwide this holiday season
- 2023-09-20 Crayola and Mrs. Bloom launch Crayola Flowers
- 2023-09-20 Jimmy McCanlies joins Monrovia sales team
- 2023-09-20 Star Roses and Plants unveils 2024 woody ornamentals and edible catalogs
- 2023-09-20 Luke van Adrichem appointed as CEO of Metazet FormFlex
- 2023-09-20 Developer of mobile data centers next to greenhouse declared bankrupt
- 2023-09-20 Brian Lynch appointed as head of horti technology at Vineland
- 2023-09-20 Dutch flower grower makes gains on all fronts with new grading machine
- 2023-09-20 'Bulb Boy', Allan Visser: "We must commit to resilient cultivation with green agents and resistant varieties"
- 2023-09-19 Open day at Van der Valk Systemen to mark 60th anniversary
- 2023-09-19 Mertens is Decorum's new 'preferred supplier'
- 2023-09-18 NL: "Relocation enables growth"
- 2023-09-18 "How flexible can you be when you can only adjust intensity?"
- 2023-09-18 United Flower Growers celebrates 60 years
- 2023-09-18 "Blume2000 goes beyond selling flowers and plants alone"