- Construction Project Manager - Tri-State (CT, NY, NJ) USA
- Private Equity Associate - San Francisco (CA) USA
- Quality Manager
- Sales Manager Europe
- Agronomist & Supply Coordinator - EMEA territory
- Applicant management / board / horticulture / greenhouse grower
- Grower - Tasmania (berries) - Australia
- Managing Director Canada
- Category Manager - Sydney Markets, Australia
- Independent Sales & Business Development Representative, USA
Top 5 -yesterday
- The growing demand for skilled horticulturalists
- "Beetles that pee themselves to death could be tomorrow’s pest control"
- Spain: 4.2 million roses expected to be sold for St. George's Day in Catalonia
- Perennial Trials reveal top 5 performers in Rocky Mountain conditions
- NL: Lightweight and durable binding tapener showcased
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "World’s most sold machine to make spiral bouquets"
- "Certified Plastic Free plug system sets new world standard"
- UK: Import of cut flowers from Kenya and Colombia up, Netherlands down
- "Kenya's first floating solar project installed at Rift Valley Roses"
- China: "16 ha rose project from A to Z delivered in record time"
Manfred Robert, Liriope Factory:
"20 percent year on year growth for liriope"
Manfred Robert at the IPM Essen.
The liriope used to be a plant that could be used indoors only, explains Robert. Over the years, new and improved varieties entered the market that can be used outdoors too. "Now, the liriope is a cold hardy, drought-tolerant plant that produces flowers and is a good weed control." And this resulted in an increase in demand, particularly in Europe.
According to Robert, US demand was quite low during the time of the financial crisis, but started to increase afterwards. "About six years ago, when the USA was climbing out of the crisis, we saw our sales increase too." In Europe, however, the demand started to increase more recently; about three years ago. According to Robert, this has more to do with the fact that people are getting familiar with the versatile use of the plant. "The plant can be used in a different way; it isn't an indoor plant only anymore. Currently, it is a popular landscaping plant and often used in vertical walls." In both continents, Robert still sees an annual increase of 20 percent and he expects it to increase at this pace in the coming years.
According to Robert, the fact that the liriope is a low-maintenance plant makes it a popular plant. And not only among end users, but among growers too. "It is quite an economical plant as it doesn't need special soil, pruning or other requirements. After receiving the cuttings, the grower needs to plant them in small pots, which enables them to develop their roots and foliage. Afterwards, they need to be transplanted to larger pots and it will take about 10 months to finish them."
The main markets for Liriope Factory are the USA and Europe. In the USA, where they sell the cuttings year-round, the best selling variety is the Variegated. "It is a more cold-tolerant variety and has nice flowers and foliage." In Europe, where they sell the bare-rooted cuttings in April, May and June, the Monroe White is the most popular variety. "This variety has green and white flowers."
Litriope Factory produces its cuttings in Central Louisiana USA on 125 acres open field. On this area they have about two million mother plants and a total production of 50 million cuttings a year. The demand is increasing, but they are not planning to increase the production area soon. "At the moment we are still ok in size", concludes Robert.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-03-24 "A benefit of Brexit for us is that customers are seeking out an established UK supply chain"
- 2021-03-05 Large investment brings one of Sweden's largest forest seedling suppliers to the next level
- 2021-01-26 The story of the Parlor Palm
- 2021-01-11 In vitro hardening of Dendrobium plantlets to enhance acclimatization
- 2021-01-07 Vitroplus produces record amount of ferns: 34 million
- 2021-01-06 'Proven Winners ColorChoice bare root roses, an on-time solution for greater demand'
- 2020-12-09 US: What's hot and happening in the market?
- 2020-12-04 Deep propagation trays added to AIRtray assortment
- 2020-12-01 Pleasant View Garden's introduces virtual market series
- 2020-11-25 AgriGarden boosts TC young plant production in China
- 2020-11-24 NL: A look inside Vitro Plus's greenhouse
- 2020-11-24 Jerusalema Challenge by Selecta one Kenya
- 2020-11-17 Beekenkamp Plants grows in North America
- 2020-11-03 More URCs available for Princettia
- 2020-10-30 Vitro Plus to push the hardy ferns market
- 2020-10-29 Finding the right growing medium to propagate plant cuttings
- 2020-10-27 10 golden rules for seedling and plug production in greenhouse
- 2020-10-20 "Less fungus, stronger plants and higher energy savings"
- 2020-10-14 'More than 900 varieties of young plants that are sourced from all over the world'
- 2020-10-12 US: How PPQ is facilitating the safe trade of plant cuttings