- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical Sales Agronomist - Switzerland
- International Retail Account Manager Fruit
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Fruit
- Territory Account Manager - Texas, Colorado, and the Toronto/Niagara area of Canada
- National Development Manager, Bravo(TM) Apples - Australia
- Greenhouse Head Grower and Manager - Canada
- Greenhouse operations manager - Canada
- Sales Representative - Canada
- Product Specialist, Indoor Hydroponics - United States
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Manfred Robert, Liriope Factory:
"20 percent year on year growth for liriope"
Manfred Robert at the IPM Essen.
The liriope used to be a plant that could be used indoors only, explains Robert. Over the years, new and improved varieties entered the market that can be used outdoors too. "Now, the liriope is a cold hardy, drought-tolerant plant that produces flowers and is a good weed control." And this resulted in an increase in demand, particularly in Europe.
According to Robert, US demand was quite low during the time of the financial crisis, but started to increase afterwards. "About six years ago, when the USA was climbing out of the crisis, we saw our sales increase too." In Europe, however, the demand started to increase more recently; about three years ago. According to Robert, this has more to do with the fact that people are getting familiar with the versatile use of the plant. "The plant can be used in a different way; it isn't an indoor plant only anymore. Currently, it is a popular landscaping plant and often used in vertical walls." In both continents, Robert still sees an annual increase of 20 percent and he expects it to increase at this pace in the coming years.
According to Robert, the fact that the liriope is a low-maintenance plant makes it a popular plant. And not only among end users, but among growers too. "It is quite an economical plant as it doesn't need special soil, pruning or other requirements. After receiving the cuttings, the grower needs to plant them in small pots, which enables them to develop their roots and foliage. Afterwards, they need to be transplanted to larger pots and it will take about 10 months to finish them."
The main markets for Liriope Factory are the USA and Europe. In the USA, where they sell the cuttings year-round, the best selling variety is the Variegated. "It is a more cold-tolerant variety and has nice flowers and foliage." In Europe, where they sell the bare-rooted cuttings in April, May and June, the Monroe White is the most popular variety. "This variety has green and white flowers."
Litriope Factory produces its cuttings in Central Louisiana USA on 125 acres open field. On this area they have about two million mother plants and a total production of 50 million cuttings a year. The demand is increasing, but they are not planning to increase the production area soon. "At the moment we are still ok in size", concludes Robert.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-08-12 US Congresswoman Finkenauer visit at Plantpeddler
- 2019-08-05 Malaysian school pioneers orchid in-vitro propagation
- 2019-06-25 Belgium: A peek inside Denis-Plants
- 2019-05-29 "Focus on propagation will improve plant quality"
- 2019-05-20 Europe: Challenging start to satisfactory hydrangea season
- 2019-05-15 Philippines: Spore Bank established for conservation and propagation of ferns
- 2019-05-08 Promoting the smaller and non-traditional bromeliads among Chinese consumers
- 2019-05-06 Producing robust plugs – Part II
- 2019-05-01 High-tech breeding in Ethiopia
- 2019-03-06 Hishtil to take their upgraded sticking room to a higher level
- 2019-02-07 Uneven seed germination in plug trays
- 2019-01-31 Could a plug replace the traditional soil block?
- 2019-01-28 "Save labor with Supernova liners"
- 2019-01-17 Ethiopian producers visit Beekenkamp in the Netherlands
- 2019-01-17 Potted plants a big hit in Turkey
- 2018-12-24 'Popularity of Asian cuisine drives demand for Asiatic herbs'
- 2018-12-03 Van Belle sends out Christmas message with own song
- 2018-12-03 "We're committed to helping US plant propagation keep itself afloat"
- 2018-09-14 Video: interview with Peter Benders, Xclusive director
- 2018-09-05 Germany: Kientzler shows off new autumn assortment at open house