- Business Controller - Finance, Chile or Mexico
- Sales Representatives - Southern USA
- Lead Grower - Stevensburg (VA) USA
- Assistant Crop Manager - Tasmania
- Post-Harvest Quality Manager - Europe
- Farm Operator - Kearny (NJ) USA
- Cultivation Manager - MI, USA
- Export Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager
- Grower (TX)
Top 5 -yesterday
- California Summer Trials 2021 in full swing
- US: Will consumers continue buying flowers and plants in 2021?
- Cocaine trafficking through Dutch flower auction; Criminal gang busted
- Sweden: “It is a challenge to get chrysanthemums for Midsummer celebrations”
- Watch the new corporate film from Beekenkamp Group
Top 5 -last week
- Benary expands its Chinese activities
- “New Bulb Planting Systems sold out in NL, already interest from other countries”
- “The first system that can measure photosynthesis without damaging the plant”
- Impression WF&FSA's 2021 Floral Distribution Conference
- "Matthiola trials show a breeding breakthrough"
Top 5 -last month
- Schneider welcomes two new members to the team
- Creekside Greenhouses joins forces with Bloomchampion International for new Hydrangea genetics
- NL: 300 kilos of cocaine in a flower shipment from Quito
- Innovative vacuum container slows down aging of flowers, provides new shipping opportunities
- Photo Report: Breeders opening their doors
Manfred Robert, Liriope Factory:
"20 percent year on year growth for liriope"
Manfred Robert at the IPM Essen.
The liriope used to be a plant that could be used indoors only, explains Robert. Over the years, new and improved varieties entered the market that can be used outdoors too. "Now, the liriope is a cold hardy, drought-tolerant plant that produces flowers and is a good weed control." And this resulted in an increase in demand, particularly in Europe.
According to Robert, US demand was quite low during the time of the financial crisis, but started to increase afterwards. "About six years ago, when the USA was climbing out of the crisis, we saw our sales increase too." In Europe, however, the demand started to increase more recently; about three years ago. According to Robert, this has more to do with the fact that people are getting familiar with the versatile use of the plant. "The plant can be used in a different way; it isn't an indoor plant only anymore. Currently, it is a popular landscaping plant and often used in vertical walls." In both continents, Robert still sees an annual increase of 20 percent and he expects it to increase at this pace in the coming years.
According to Robert, the fact that the liriope is a low-maintenance plant makes it a popular plant. And not only among end users, but among growers too. "It is quite an economical plant as it doesn't need special soil, pruning or other requirements. After receiving the cuttings, the grower needs to plant them in small pots, which enables them to develop their roots and foliage. Afterwards, they need to be transplanted to larger pots and it will take about 10 months to finish them."
The main markets for Liriope Factory are the USA and Europe. In the USA, where they sell the cuttings year-round, the best selling variety is the Variegated. "It is a more cold-tolerant variety and has nice flowers and foliage." In Europe, where they sell the bare-rooted cuttings in April, May and June, the Monroe White is the most popular variety. "This variety has green and white flowers."
Litriope Factory produces its cuttings in Central Louisiana USA on 125 acres open field. On this area they have about two million mother plants and a total production of 50 million cuttings a year. The demand is increasing, but they are not planning to increase the production area soon. "At the moment we are still ok in size", concludes Robert.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-06-21 Plantpeddler looks back on the year while releasing 2022 catalog
- 2021-06-16 "Hoya is finding its place among the field of popular houseplants"
- 2021-03-24 "A benefit of Brexit for us is that customers are seeking out an established UK supply chain"
- 2021-03-05 Large investment brings one of Sweden's largest forest seedling suppliers to the next level
- 2021-01-26 The story of the Parlor Palm
- 2021-01-11 In vitro hardening of Dendrobium plantlets to enhance acclimatization
- 2021-01-07 Vitroplus produces record amount of ferns: 34 million
- 2021-01-06 'Proven Winners ColorChoice bare root roses, an on-time solution for greater demand'
- 2020-12-09 US: What's hot and happening in the market?
- 2020-12-04 Deep propagation trays added to AIRtray assortment
- 2020-12-01 Pleasant View Garden's introduces virtual market series
- 2020-11-25 AgriGarden boosts TC young plant production in China
- 2020-11-24 NL: A look inside Vitro Plus's greenhouse
- 2020-11-24 Jerusalema Challenge by Selecta one Kenya
- 2020-11-17 Beekenkamp Plants grows in North America
- 2020-11-03 More URCs available for Princettia
- 2020-10-30 Vitro Plus to push the hardy ferns market
- 2020-10-29 Finding the right growing medium to propagate plant cuttings
- 2020-10-27 10 golden rules for seedling and plug production in greenhouse
- 2020-10-20 "Less fungus, stronger plants and higher energy savings"