- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
- Medewerker productmanagement support - Bleiswijk
- Head grower & Indoor farming-/hydroponic specialist - Küssnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
- Technical Director - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Onderzoekassistent Fenotyperen - Bleiswijk
- Horticultural Soil Sales Representative - USA
- Turnkey Vegetable Greenhouse Sales Representative - USA
- Sales Administrator - Europe Division
- Junior Sales Manager - Europe Division
- Head Grower - Avoine, France
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Manfred Robert, Liriope Factory:
"20 percent year on year growth for liriope"
Manfred Robert at the IPM Essen.
The liriope used to be a plant that could be used indoors only, explains Robert. Over the years, new and improved varieties entered the market that can be used outdoors too. "Now, the liriope is a cold hardy, drought-tolerant plant that produces flowers and is a good weed control." And this resulted in an increase in demand, particularly in Europe.
According to Robert, US demand was quite low during the time of the financial crisis, but started to increase afterwards. "About six years ago, when the USA was climbing out of the crisis, we saw our sales increase too." In Europe, however, the demand started to increase more recently; about three years ago. According to Robert, this has more to do with the fact that people are getting familiar with the versatile use of the plant. "The plant can be used in a different way; it isn't an indoor plant only anymore. Currently, it is a popular landscaping plant and often used in vertical walls." In both continents, Robert still sees an annual increase of 20 percent and he expects it to increase at this pace in the coming years.
According to Robert, the fact that the liriope is a low-maintenance plant makes it a popular plant. And not only among end users, but among growers too. "It is quite an economical plant as it doesn't need special soil, pruning or other requirements. After receiving the cuttings, the grower needs to plant them in small pots, which enables them to develop their roots and foliage. Afterwards, they need to be transplanted to larger pots and it will take about 10 months to finish them."
The main markets for Liriope Factory are the USA and Europe. In the USA, where they sell the cuttings year-round, the best selling variety is the Variegated. "It is a more cold-tolerant variety and has nice flowers and foliage." In Europe, where they sell the bare-rooted cuttings in April, May and June, the Monroe White is the most popular variety. "This variety has green and white flowers."
Litriope Factory produces its cuttings in Central Louisiana USA on 125 acres open field. On this area they have about two million mother plants and a total production of 50 million cuttings a year. The demand is increasing, but they are not planning to increase the production area soon. "At the moment we are still ok in size", concludes Robert.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-09-17 The amazing journey of a reusable tray
- 2020-09-16 UA (IA): Iowa Secretary of Agriculture, Mike Naig, visits Plantpeddler in Cresco
- 2020-09-14 Hishtil on the advantages of home gardening
- 2020-09-03 US (IA): Plantpeddler hosts US Senator Joni Ernst for greenhouse facility tour
- 2020-07-20 US (MI): Raker Roberta’s opens trial garden, launches own YouTube channel
- 2020-06-18 "A good addition to succulent range"
- 2020-06-05 Netherlands: First pile for new facility Schneider Youngplants
- 2020-06-04 Cohen increases Dianthus URC assortment with Hishtil's mother plants
- 2020-05-29 UK: "The market has changed for good"
- 2020-05-26 Beekenkamp obtains Fairtrade certificate for poinsettia
- 2020-05-25 Guatemala: Take a peek at the Dümmen Orange Antigua facility
- 2020-05-14 Uganda: "We tried to see it all as a big sleepover party"
- 2020-04-20 Lockdown major concern for Xclusive in Uganda
- 2020-03-30 Kernock Park Plants' COVID-19 response
- 2020-01-10 Netherlands: New 3.5 ha greenhouse for Schneider Youngplants
- 2020-01-02 "Increasing productivity without expanding the greenhouse"
- 2019-12-19 Israel: Automation provides the answer to growing demand
- 2019-12-11 10 million young plants with the GreenPlug
- 2019-12-06 Israel: "Niche products help to differentiate and stand out"
- 2019-12-04 High propagation standards draw big breeders to Israel