- Managing Director, UK
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Bioinformatics will cause great changes in the breeding industry"
Dick de Ridder, prof. bioinformatics of Wageningen UR outlined the perspective of bioinformatics for horticulture in the coming 10 to 20 years. The practical possibilities of bioinformatics of today at breeding companies were clarified by Joachim Bargsten of Enza and Jorn de Haan of GeneTwister.
The genetic characteristics of plants are unravelled with software and equipment at diminishing costs, whereupon the breeder can cross and select the plants with the right properties, more rapidly than was the case before. The large amount of data created is the source for modern genotyping with markers.
The development and application of intelligent sensors to collect data in combination with camera systems and drones is also about speed. Linked to smart software which can analyze and present large amounts of data, plants can be analyzed and assessed during cultivation. This ‘digital phenotyping’ ensures a fast selection and propagation process by the breeder and propagator.
The meeting ‘Innovation with ICT for breeding and propagation’ was held November 12th, organised by Tuinbouw Digitaal at Proeftuin Zwaagdijk.
Tuinbouw Digitaal is a cooperative initiative of FrugIcom, Floricode, Edibulb and Wageningen UR. Tuinbouw Digitaal studies, informs, and facilitates. It is aimed at improving knowledge about information management and stimulating the use of information standards in horticulture.
Click here for more information.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2015-11-30 NextLevel Conference focuses on networking through “Hubs”
- 2015-11-27 Plantscope: listen to the plant
- 2015-11-26 US: Smartphones enlisted in the battle versus crop disease
- 2015-11-25 Twitter masterclass Wageningen guide to climate smart future
- 2015-11-24 "US: (FL): "Plants are easy, People are tough"
- 2015-11-23 "Bioinformatics will cause great changes in the breeding industry"
- 2015-11-20 Proper maintenance of CHP prevents machine downtime
- 2015-11-19 Study says: Dogs perfect to scout pests and diseases in the greenhouse
- 2015-11-18 Dutch grower uses direct current to light crops
- 2015-11-13 How DNA fingerprinting can save your reputation as well as your investment
- 2015-11-12 How to overcome financial difficulties
- 2015-11-11 Europe: What to do with all that stonewool substrate?
- 2015-11-10 AT&T helps Koppert create a buzz around the world
- 2015-11-09 Dutch flowers on the train to China?
- 2015-11-04 US (OH): CENTS 2016 will offer enhanced education for growers and nurseries
- 2015-11-03 US: MSU organizes pesticide applicator core manual review sessions
- 2015-11-02 Special Service Supply at FloralDaily